Cut to The Happy Feeling


           Photo Courtesy: AmuKay


Can we first agree that the term happy is relative, yes? Ok. So, my source of happiness varies greatly. One time it’s a series of memes, the other it is that time the broker fishes out a wad of notes to pay for my vegetables. Let us agree, money is actually a source of happiness and to be very human, I’d rather cry in that Range Rover (I prefer a Ford Ranger) that laugh on that bicycle. What if it starts raining and I’m on that bicycle, then I catch pneumonia and die? Was it worth it? No it wasn’t .Rather, I’d rather cry in that my Ford Ranger, and as I toast in the warmth of the air con, my tears will dry, logical, yes? Also, my forefathers did not blindly fight guns and grenades with spears and machetes, eating ngwaci in a mosquito infested forest, so I can cry on a bicycle.
Back to the topic, happiness. My source of happiness I think lies in the small things in life. The laughter of a baby, (Boy! Do I love other people's babies), his text in the morning, that jaw drop in Tom and Jerry, but above all, in giving. There is a saying, 'kutoa ni moyo, si utajiri' and lets agree there is so much truth in that truth. I love making people's day. I will randomly approach you on that isle in the supermarket and comment ' nice shoes', or ' great hair, what is that, Brazilian?'
I smile at strangers, I greet watchies at the bank and tellers at the supermarket.  The smell of the rain makes me happy, it is a promising of productivity. I used to give money to beggars, until I learnt it is a cartel, like every other industry in this our nation. There are cartels in everything plenty and non-plenty that is found within our borders.
My happiness also comes from appreciating. Appreciating sunrises, because it is a chance to be great again, to breath hope into others. Happiness is talking to my grandmother. If that woman could, she’d crotchet me booties for Christmas.
Happiness is when a food invite ends with “I’m buying”. Happiness is an Mpesa message beginning with “You have Received…” Happiness is a warm bed, a good book and hot cocoa on a cold day. Happiness is my siblings getting scolded for something I’d initially advised them against. Happiness is finding money in clothes I haven't worn in sometime. You know those moments? When people have to hold you down to prevent you from travelling the world and buying a building with that 50/- , that gift from your obviously younger self to your current self. Happiness is also understanding a pun during Upgrade Poetry.
Like I said happiness is varied, it really just depends on the situation. One thing I’m certain of however, it is that there really is more joy in giving than in receiving. This week, give something wholeheartedly. A greeting, a handkerchief to a crying person, a spot on the queue for an old man or make a contribution to a cancer drive, anything…see how that works out.







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fear is a Retarded Chicken

A Strange Case of Old Habits and Their Attempted Murder

ONE STEP AT A TIME…